Death Race (arcade) 1976
First game that inspired first ever protest over a video game, second controversial game (after Gotcha), first
violent controversial game, first graphically controversial game
Arcade system: unique
Review (oldest arcade game review) - Eugene Register-Guard - Dec 26, 1976
1) The game inspired by the 1975's film Death Race 2000.
2) Although the graphics are primitive and monochrome, the "gremlins" resemble stick figures, and the game's working title had been "Pedestrian". In spite of Exidy president Pete Kaufman's denial that the intent of the game was to promote violence, Death Race provoked media criticism. The National Safety Council called it "gross", the CBS news program 60 Minutes broadcast an investigation into the psychological impact of video games, and the game was covered on NBC's Weekend news show, and in the National Enquirer.
3) The game was nearly banned for explict content.The controversy had reportedly started when a AP reporter in Seattle saw children playing the game and thought that the sound effects the pedestrians made when hit sounded like 'shrieking children'. Before the controversy, the game sold only 200 copies - afterwards, Exidy produced about 3,000 (including PCB sales).
4) Game had same controversial effect on the press as Grand Theft Auto 3 had in
5) Remake for Playstation and Sega Saturn in 1996 was canceled.
6) Game is conversion of arcade game "Destruction Derby" from 1975.
7) Game is not emulated.
Site Developed from 2008-2014
Site Launched -2014, may
tags: history of videogames, ultimate history of video games, evolution of videogames, история видеоигр, история компьютерных игр, history of video games,
ultimate history of videogames,#gaming #videogames #gamesHashtag
See my other website: Ultimate history of computer
You can write comments on every site page in comments plugin.